spoon

Stovetop Mac and Cheese

Category: , ,

I know I said healthy recipes until vacation, but I did cook a few indulgences as well.  My theory is all things in moderation.  When I made the BBQ Meatloaf, I'm sure you saw Alton Brown's Stovetop Mac and Cheese that I served as a side. 


Alton really knows what he is doing here!  This dish is delicious, easy to make and is ready in a fraction of the time it takes to make baked macaroni and cheese.  Plus, you only use one pot!  Usually I'm using 3; the pot to boil pasta, pot to make sauce and a baking dish.  I must warn you though, there is one bad thing about this dish, you will want to make it every week because it is so good and such a cinch to pull together!

Don't be afraid to use whatever cheese you have on hand.  I've made this several times, using different cheeses, and each time it has come out great.  This time I used leftover cheddar, Dubliner and Monterey Jack cheeses. 

Here is what you'll need:
  • 1/2 pound elbow macaroni
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 6 ounces evaporated milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • Fresh black pepper
  • 3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 10 ounces sharp cheddar, shredded
In a large pot of salted water, cook pasta until al dente, then drain.  Return pasta to the pot, add butter and melt.  Stir to be sure all pasta is coated.


In a small bowl, mix together the eggs, milk, hot sauce, salt, pepper, and mustard.  Add to the pasta, stirring well.  Add cheese to the pasta and stir well.

Turn heat on low and cook pasta for 3 minutes or until the cheese is melted and creamy.  Serves 4.

Comments (2)

Thanks for the courteous warning, but that's like smokers caring about the surgeon general's warning on cigarettes.
Mac n cheese is certainly my weakness. This recipe looks incredibly delicious and easy. Thank you!

Very true. I hope you try it and love it as much as I do!