spoon

Latin Style Beans

Category: , , , , ,

While I've always eaten different types of rice and beans, I hadn't ventured into cooking much and rarely ate these two ingredients together..  That all changed pretty quickly when I met my husband, I needed to learn some basic recipes to keep him satisfied in between trips to his parents (to eat Mami's cooking!).

Early on in our relationship, he would do some of the cooking and this is one of the recipes he taught me.  Somehow, I've become the one that cooks this, and every meal now (JR, what happened?), and I've put my own spin on this dish.  I've learned that pretty much every Latin household has their own spin on this as well.

 

This has become a part of our regular rotation, and I finally took the time to measure so I could share it with you.  I know this picture isn't pretty (I'm still working on my photo and editing skills), but I hope that doesn't stop you from making this dish. 

Here is what you'll need:
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1/4 cup sofrito or recaito
  • 2/3 cup diced ham
  • 2 carrots, diced
  • 1 potato, diced
  • 4 oz mushrooms, diced
  • 3/4 cup chicken stock
  • 1 packet Sazon
  • 1/2 tsp adobo
  • 4 oz. tomato sauce
  • 15 oz. can of beans, drained and rinsed
In a medium sauce pan, heat olive oil over medium high heat.  Add sofrito and cook until fragrant.

Add ham and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned.  Add carrots, potato and mushrooms.  Continue cooking until slightly browned.

Add chicken stock, bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to medium and continue cooking ~5 minutes until vegetables are halfway cooked through.

Add remaining ingredients, stir, reduce heat to medium low, cover and allow to simmer 10 minutes..  You will want to be sure there is enough liquid throughout the cooking process.  If the liquid has reduced too much, add chicken stock or water (we like our beans a little soupy) to keep the beans from mashing together.

After 10 minutes, taste and adjust seasoning as necessary.  Cook another 5 minutes.  Serves 4.

    Comments (0)