spoon

Shrimp and Peas Pasta Salad with Buttermilk-Herb Dressing

Category: , , , , ,

It just so happened we had a late work night the day I planned to make this pasta salad I had seen in Cooking Light's June 2011 magazine for dinner.  Needless to say, I was starving by the time I left work and that usually means I'd order take-out to pick up on my way home.  While take-out was tempting, I knew this recipe was planned for dinner and I thought I could make it quicker than I could gnaw my arm off.


My arm is still attached!  And I am so glad this won over take-out!  Not only is this easy to make, it is packed with flavor and what I would consider it fairly healthy.  I used whole grain pasta and mayonnaise with olive oil.   

Here is what you'll need:
  • 8 ounces uncooked medium shell pasta (I use whole grain)
  • 1 cup frozen green peas
  • 1 lb small-medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (I used the small, sweet, pink Maine shrimp)
  • 1 cup thinly sliced radishes
  • 1/3 cup mayonnaise with olive oil
  • 1/4 cup low fat buttermilk
  • 3 Tbsp minced fresh chives
  • 1 Tbsp chopped fresh dill
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp grated lemon rind
  • 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
  • 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/8 tsp ground red pepper
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
Bring water to a boil and cook pasta according to package directions, adding the shrimp and peas during the last 2 minutes of cooking.  Drain and rinse with cold water to stop cooking process.  Allow to set in order to drain off excess water.

While pasta is draining and cooling, in a mixing bowl combine remaining ingredients.

Add cooled pasta, shrimp and peas to mixing bowl.  Toss to combine well and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.  Serves 3-4 as a main dish.

Comments (0)