spoon

Garbanzos and Smoked Sausage

Category: , , , , ,

I had no intention of blogging this dish until I was in the middle of cooking it and the house smelled amazing!  I'm a big fan of Meseidy from The Noshery blog.  When she posted this recipe it went on my long list of meals to make.  I am so glad that this made its way to the top rather quickly since JR and I love garbanzos.  This was a winner and will definitely become part of our meal rotation.


Recently JR asked me to cut back on the spiciness in our dinners, so I substituted a smoked sausage for the chorizo.  I also cut back the amount of garbanzos used and served this over rice.  The only thing this meal was missing was a side of avocado!

This would also make a great vegetarian meal by omitting the sausage, increasing the garbanzos and using vegetable broth.

The changes I made are included here:
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 12 oz. smoked turkey sausage, sliced
  • 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup of chopped cilantro
  • 1 Tbsp capers
  • 2 Tbsp white vinegar
  • 1 15oz can garbanzo beans
  • 1 cup tomato sauce
  • 1/2 cup chicken stock
  • 2 roma tomatoes peeled, seeded and diced (or 1/2 cup of canned diced tomatoes)
Heat oil in a dutch oven over medium-high heat.  Add sausage and brown on both sides.  Remove sausage from pan and set aside.

Add pepper, onion and garlic to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to brown.  Add cilantro, stir and allow to cook 1 minute.

Add capers, vinegar, beans, tomato sauce, chicken stock and tomatoes.  Reduce heat to medium-low and allow to simmer for 15 minutes.

Add sausage to pan, stir and allow to simmer an additional 10-15 minutes.  Serve over rice if desired.  Serves 4.

Source: Adapted from The Noshery

    Comment (1)

    Thanks for a great reead