spoon

Chicken Piccata

Category: ,

I don't know if this happens to you, but when I return from vacation it takes me a day or two to get back into the kitchen.  Then when I do, I want to start with something easy which usually involves pasta.  We recently returned from a vacation that was everything but relaxing, so it was no surprise that it took me a few days to get back in the kitchen. 


I'm not sure why or how I got chicken piccata stuck in my head since I had never eaten it before.  In my search I struggled to decide between Ina's recipe and Giada's recipe, but i ended up following Giada's after reading that Ina's wasn't traditional.  Bonus, it fit my returning from vacation criteria, easy and pasta!

This was a great meal to get me back in the kitchen.  It's so simple to pull together, with bold fresh flavors.  I paired it with fresh angel hair pasta and we skipped a vegetable side tonight!  I think this would also go well with rice.

Here is what you'll need:
  • 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, butterflied and then cut in half
  • kosher salt
  • ground black pepper
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, for dredging
  • 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, divided
  • 4 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1/3 cup lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup chicken stock
  • 1/4 cup capers
  • 1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
Season the flour with salt and pepper. 

Melt 2 Tbsp butter and 2 Tbsp olive oil in a nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat. 

Coat both sides of chicken breasts with flour mixture, shake off excess and place in frying pan.  Be sure not to overcrowd the frying pan.  Cook on first side ~3-4 minutes until browned.  Flip chicken onto second side and cook ~3-4 minutes until browned.  Once browned on both sides, remove from pan.  You may need to do this step several batches based on the size of your pan.

Reduce heat to medium.  Add 2 Tbsp olive oil, lemon juice, chicken stock, capers and parsley to the pan.  Combine and heat through 2 minutes.  Add 2 Tbsp butter to the pan, melt and whisk until well blended.  

Reduce heat to medium-low.  Add chicken back to the pan, cover and simmer 5 minutes.  Serves 4.

    Comments (0)