spoon

What's Baking: Mixed Berry Cobbler with Cornmeal Crust

Category: , , , ,

I recently joined What's Baking, a group of women who bake once a month based on a theme chosen by one of the group members. February's theme is Baked with Love which was chosen by Dunne' of With a Cherry on Top. I know a lot of you are thinking this was a Valentine's theme, but I decided to go another direction with it.

You see, there is a special woman in my life who happens to have a birthday in February. I met her about 6.5 years ago, but I don't think I realized how much my heart grew for her until about 2 years ago. That was when I realized how important it was for me to have her stand up in our wedding, and today I am happy to call her my sister-in-law.

Unfortunately, last year the unthinkable happened. She was diagnosed with breast cancer, and it absolutely broke my heart. I never let her see it, but there were many times I cried and worried for her, her husband, her children and her grandchildren. While her diagnosis is that this is treatable, and beatable, it still broke my heart to know the amount of pain and life changes she would go through, and is going through. But she is tough, and boy has she proven it through the last 9 months. 


However, one of the life changes for her means she was diagnosed with diabetes during her treatment.  So as much as I know she would love a sugar laden birthday dessert, I wanted to give her something that she could enjoy guilt-free.  So here is the Mixed Berry Cobbler I decided on, which was Baked with Love in celebration of her birthday and life!
You can check out this month's recipe roundup here.

I followed the recipe pretty close to how it is written.  I was told the filling was nice and tart, and the biscuits were buttery!

For the filling:
  • 2 Tbsp SPLENDA® Sugar Blend
  • 2 Tbsp cornstarch
  • 30 oz. frozen mixed berries, thawed
For the crust:
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • ½ cup stone-ground cornmeal
  • 2 Tbsp SPLENDA® Sugar Blend
  • 1½ tsp baking powder
  • ½ tsp salt
  • ¼ cup cold butter, cut into chunks
  • ¾ cup fat-free buttermilk
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8 x 8-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.

For the berries: 
In a mixing bowl, combine SPLENDA® Sugar Blend and cornstarch.  Add berries, including their juice.  Gently stir to combine. Pour into prepared baking dish.

For the crust:
In a small bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, SPLENDA® Sugar Blend, baking powder, and salt. Stir with a fork. Add butter and cut  into dry ingredients until pieces are pea-sized. Add buttermilk and stir until just moistened.  Drop crust batter over fruit.

Bake 40 to 45 minutes, or until topping is golden and fruit is bubbling. Let stand 20 to 30 minutes before serving to allow sauce to thicken.  Serves 9.

Comment (1)

Much better, now I am able to type in the kapcha,,,I wanted to thank you for sharing your personal stories in addition to your recipes. This one captured my heart. Your sister-in-law is such a beautiful person. The moment that I met her, I knew that she was someone very special. When you made this special for her birthday, it gave me the same warm feeling that I still embrace from my memories of baking and cooking with my grandmother. It's all about the love that goes into it. You are both very special ladies,,,thank you for sharing,,

Happy baking and cooking,,,love, Sandy