spoon

Chicken and Biscuit Pot Pie

Category: , , , ,

I've been craving chicken pot pie, seriously craving it.  I knew this was not going to be good for my weight loss efforts, so I began searching for something that would satisfy my craving without sending me off track. I found this recipe by Ellie Krieger.


The filling came together nicely, however, as I was making the biscuit topping I began second guessing the outcome.  I was wrong.  This came out great.  So great, I didn't miss the traditional pie crust, and I can't believe I'm saying that.  After all, the pie crust was always my favorite part of chicken pot pie, the frozen ones.  Now that I think about it, the pie crust was really the only good part of the frozen ones.  I realize now how much a great tasting filling can make this whole dish.


My biscuits didn't brown up like I was hoping, even after I baked it a little longer than suggested.  However, they were cooked through and tasted fine.

I used a few short cuts which I've included here
  • Cooking spray
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks (I used leftover rotisserie chicken)
  • 4 tsp olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, chopped (I used 1 leek and 1/2 an onion)
  • 2 medium carrots, chopped
  • 2 celery stalks, chopped
  • 1/2 lb green beans, trimmed and chopped into 1/2-inch pieces (I used frozen corn instead)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 1/2 cups lowfat milk
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 cup peas, thawed if frozen
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves (I used 3/4 tsp dried thyme)

  • 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 3 tsp cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
  • 2 tsp canola oil
  • 1/2 cup lowfat buttermilk

To make the filling: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a large shallow casserole dish, or 6 individual casserole dishes with cooking spray. (I used my oven safe skillet.)

Season the chicken with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 teaspoons of the oil over a medium-high heat. Add the chicken to the pan and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer the chicken with its juices to a bowl. (Since I used rotisserie chicken, I skipped this part.)

Add olive oil to skillet and heat it over a medium-high heat. Add the onions, carrots and celery and cook until the vegetables begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Add the green beans, garlic and remaining salt and pepper and cook for 2 minute more. Add the milk.

Stir the flour into the broth until it is completely dissolved and add to the pan. Cook, stirring, until the mixture comes to a boil.

Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 2 minutes more. Return the chicken with its juices back to the pan. Add the peas and thyme and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Spoon the mixture into the baking dish or individual dishes. (If using oven safe skillet, you can use the same pan.)

To make the crust: Put the whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a food processor and pulse a few times to combine. Add the butter and pulse about 12 times, or until pebble sized pieces are formed.  (I mixed all by hand using a fork.)

Add the buttermilk, then oil to the food processor and pulse until just moistened. Do not over mix. (Again I mixed by hand.)

Drop the batter in 6 mounds on top of the chicken mixture (1 mound on each individual dish, if using) spreading the batter out slightly. Bake until filling is bubbling and the biscuit topping is golden brown, about 20 minutes.  Serves 6.

Comments (2)

Oooh! This looks tasty! Under 500 calories per serving too, which is what we stick to during the week. Thanks for sharing! :)

It is tasty, I hope you try it!