spoon

Oatmeal Cookies

Category: , ,

So by now you probably think I only have one cookbook, Rosemary Brown's Big Kitchen Instruction Book.  I promise you this is not so!  I have a whole bookcase full, however, I cannot prove that to you because, well, my office is known as the disaster zone of our house.  People think I am a neat, clean, person, but that would all change if they entered my office!


In keeping with my recent unplanned theme, I'm referring to my favorite cookbook again for what has become my go-to oatmeal cookie recipe.  These are my dad's favorite, and he is probably already waiting for Father's Day knowing he will get a batch.

I usually follow the recipe as it is written, but today I used walnuts instead of pecans.  I've been working on cleaning out our freezer and pantry, so walnuts were what I had on hand to use here.  I think the cinnamon, nutmeg and coconut are such a nice combination, with the coconut making these different from other oatmeal cookie recipes. 

JR really liked these.  He is very pleased that he has gotten homemade cookies two weekends in a row.  You see, I don't like to bake cookies.  I'm lazy, so I like to make cookie bars.  The problem is, JR won't eat cookie bars, because he is lazy and doesn't like to cut them.  I've found a way to meet in the middle.  Parchment paper.  I still have multiple batches, but I don't have so much to clean up.


Here is the recipe as it is written:

  • 1 cup butter
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 3 1/2 cups quick-cooking oatmeal
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans
  • 1/2 cup flaked coconut
  • 1 cup raisins
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Beat butter with both sugars until fluffy.  Beat in eggs and vanilla.  Sift flour with baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg, and mix well with butter mixture.  Stir together oatmeal, pecans, coconut, and raisins, and fold into cookie batter. 

Using a small cookie scoop, drop the dough onto parchament lined baking sheets.  Bake for 11 minutes.  Cool for 1 minute on the cookie sheet, then remove to a wire rack to finish cooling.

Makes 6 dozen.

Comment (1)

Thanks for the reminder! :)