spoon

Chicago Dogs

Category:

Today is the SuperBowl.  I don't get excited over it, except for the fact that it represents the beginning of the next ball season to come - BASEBALL!  You see, JR and I have 2 main interests in common, baseball and travel.  We often combine the two and have been known to book a vacation around which ballpark we'd like to visit next.  Last spring we visited AT&T Park, home to the San Francisco Giants, and watched them play the Houston Astros.  It was freezing a great game, but I think my favorite part was the food!  I woofed down ate my first Chicago dog, and boy, have there been many times since then that  JR has heard how much I NEED to have another one soon!

I ran across this photo slideshow of hot dogs recently while searching Food Network's website and immediately I thought this is how we would celebrate the upcoming baseball season on SuperBowl Sunday!  I know, all my Boston fans are having anxiety thinking, "What about Fenway Franks?!"  Sorry, but these blow Fenway Franks away!  And man, are these a big bite!


Remember how I earlier mentioned we've been known to book a vacation around which ballpark we'd like to visit?  Yeah, this fall we're planning a trip to Busch Stadium, home of the St. Louis Cardinals, to watch them play the Atlanta Braves.  I have a feeling beer is in my future, but if you have any recommendations of what else I should try leave me a comment.  Oh, maybe we can fly through Chicago and I can have a...nevermind!

I'm not calling this a "recipe" as much as I'm listing what you'll need:

  • Poppy Seed Hot Dog Rolls
  • Hot Dog
  • Sliced Tomato
  • Sliced Cucumber
  • Sliced Pickle
  • Pickled Pepper
  • Diced Onion
  • Relish
  • Mustard
  • Celery Seed
If you can't find poppy seed rolls they are easy to make.  Just brush the tops of regular hot dog rolls with egg white, sprinkle with poppy seeds and bake in the oven at 375 degrees for about 8 minutes.  While these are baking you can cook your hot dogs using whichever method you prefer.  I like to boil them, then give them a quick pay fry in a little oil.

Then start assembling making sure each hot dog has a little of each topping listed above.

    Comments (0)