spoon

Peach French Toast Bake

Category: , , , , ,

I knew our weekend was going to be jammed packed, so I wanted to be sure we started our days off with a good breakfast.  JR suggested we stop for breakfast on our way out of town, but I really wanted to eat at home since I knew we'd be eating lunch out.  I remembered making overnight french toast before and decided that would be a perfect start to our day!

 

Ellie Krieger's Peach French Toast Bake is both easy to put together the night before and healthy.  I've made this with other fruits, and it has always come out delicious! And bonus, I now have breakfast ready, with just a little warming needed, for a few work days this week!  This is one of the most filling breakfasts I've eaten in a while. I'm finding a serving of this with 1/3 cup plain greek yogurt keeps me satisfied until lunch.

I noted the changes I made to the recipe here:
  • Cooking spray
  • 1 large whole-wheat baguette, about 8 oz (I used 8 oz day old ciabatta)
  • 4 whole eggs
  • 4 egg whites (I used 3/4 cup egg whites from the carton)
  • 1 cup low fat milk(I use 15)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 5 cups sliced peaches, fresh or frozen
  • 1/2 lemon, juiced about 1 1/2 Tbsp
  • 3 Tbsp brown sugar (I used 4 Tbsp)
  • 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon (I used 1/2 tsp)
Spray a 9x13 baking pan with cooking spray. Slice the baguette into 1/2-inch slices and arrange the slices in a single layer in the baking pan.  Whisk together the eggs, egg whites, milk, vanilla and cinnamon. Pour the egg mixture over the bread in the pan.

In a medium bowl, toss peaches with the lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of the brown sugar. Scatter the peach slices evenly on top of the bread. Sprinkle the remaining brown sugar over the top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Uncover and bake for 40 minutes.  Serves 8.

Comments (0)