spoon

Mini Turkey Meatballs with Mushroom Perogies

Category: , ,

JR's coworker gives us homemade perogies every once in a while and I was told this latest batch were mushroom.   I wasn't really sure what else was in the filling, but thankfully I had given my sister a few and she cooked them before I got around to it.  She informed me that they were plain, "just mushroom", but after eating them I don't believe her.  There is more in the filling, but I can't pick up the flavoring and it was too finely chopped to recognize.  Anyhow, "just mushrooms" got my mind churning and I came up with this dish.


How do you make brown food look good in a photo?  Anyone?  Well, despite how the photo looks, this was really good!  That is if you like mushrooms.  If not, well, that's a shame!  I'm secretly, well maybe not so secretly, hoping we get another batch of mushroom perogies very soon!

Here is my recipe:
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
  • 1/2 large Spanish onion, diced
  • 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
  • 1 tsp dried thyme
  • 1/4 sherry cooking wine
  • 1/2 chicken stock
  • 9 perogies (I used mushroom filled)
  • 12 mini turkey meatballs (recipe below)
  • 1 Tbsp butter
  • salt and pepper
Heat olive oil in saute pan over high heat.  Add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally until browned.  Turn heat down to medium-high, add onion, salt and pepper.  Cook until these begin to brown.  Add garlic and thyme, and cook until fragrant.

Add sherry and stir to deglaze the pan.  Add chicken stock and stir all together.

Carefully place perogies in pan on top of the vegetables.  Turn heat to medium-low, and salt and pepper again.  Cover and let cook/steam, 6-8 minutes.  Uncover and gently turn over perogies.  Add meatballs and cover, cooking for another 6-8 minutes.

Turn off heat.  Add butter and allow to melt.  Gently stir one last time and serve.  Serves 3.

Turkey Meatballs:
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 1 1/4 lb ground turkey
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1/2 bread crumbs (I use day old bread, but you can use store bought)
  • 1/4 cup grated parmesean cheese
  • 1 tsp Italian seasoning
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Brush a baking sheet with olive oil.

Place remaining ingredients in a bowl.  Mix together just until incorporated (you want to be careful not to over mix).  Roll approximately 1 Tbsp of meat into a ball (just a bit smaller than a golf ball), and place on baking sheet.  Continue doing this will the remainder of the meat, making sure to leave space between each meatball on the baking sheet.

Bake for 15-20 minutes until cooked through.  Use immediately or freeze for future use.  Makes approximately 24 meatballs, 6 servings.

Comments (0)