spoon

Arroz con Pollo

Category: , , ,

Chicken and rice - delicious!  Since JR and I were first together I've tried to make him a good chicken and rice dish.  After all, I knew I needed a few Puerto Rican dishes in my back pocket to keep him content between visits to his parent's home. 

I didn't have great success, and since no one in JR's family measures ingredients I was sure I'd never get it right.  Then I tried this recipe from Jessica.  This is the one, and JR agrees!  And with each attempt JR says my rice texture gets better (yay me!). 


I usually make this when I have half a rotisserie chicken to use up, and today was no different.  Since I use cooked chicken, I made a few modifications to the instructions.  There are a few things I'd like to point out: 1)  the bottom of my rice almost always burns a little (don't worry, that's the best part, and we fight for it!) and 2) for the sofrito, if you can't find it in the produce section of your grocery store, use this Goya Recaito from the freezer section (Don't waste you're money on this one.  Trust me.). 

By the way, if you've never seen Jessica's blog be sure to take a look around.  I think you will like what you see, and her stories are sure to make you chuckle.

My modifications are included here :
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil 
  • 3/4 cup sofrito or recaito (I prefer Sofrito Ponce, it's local, or homemade)
  • 1/2 cup sliced olives with pimentos (I prefer Goya Alcaparrado)
  • 1 chicken bouillon cube
  • 2 packages Sazon: Con Culantro Y Achiote 
  • 2 tsp Adobo (I prefer Badia)
  • 1/2 rotisserie chicken (I break up the breast meat and put the leg in whole) 
  • 3 cups hot water
  • 3 cups white medium grain rice (I prefer Goya)
In a large stock pot, heated over medium high, drizzle olive oil.  Add sofrito, olives, and chicken bouillon and cook for 3-5 minutes.  Add Sazon and Adobo, mixing well. Then add chicken and mix together making sure the chicken is coated.

Add hot water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add rice and stir again. Bring back to a boil, then turn heat to medium low, and stir one last time.  Put the lid on the pot and let sit, without opening or stirring (this is important), for 25 minutes.  When 25 minutes passes, stir once and serve.  Serves 4-6.  

Comment (1)

Came out delicious. Took about 25 min more to cook but well worth the wait. I used one whole rotisserie chicken just the meat parts. Measured in measuring cups. Wasn't sure if you used liquid measuring cup. Will def make again!!!