spoon

Creamy Broccoli Chicken Soup

Category: , , ,

This recipe has been a favorite of mine for at least 10 years. The recipe comes from Rosemary Brown's Big Kitchen Instruction Book which I picked up many many years ago when Caldor was going out of business.  Yeah it's an oldie, but I love this cookbook because it has the basics which got me started in the kitchen all those years ago.


The actual recipe is for Basic Cream Soup, and the Broccoli Chicken part is my version.  I have a lot of broccoli in the freezer from my garden last year, so I knew this was the soup I'd make for Branny's Souper Bowl.

If you haven't guessed yet, I'm dedicating this to my little girl, Lacey.  For those who don't know Lacey is a pit bull who was rescued by me from the local dog pound back in November 2000.  She is the sweetest girl and has brought me great joy!


The changes I made to the recipe are included here:
  • 1/2 cup butter 
  • 1/2 large onion, chopped
  • 2 Tbsp flour (if you want a thicker soup, use more)
  • 1 1/2 cups broccoli stems, chopped
  • 29 oz chicken stock
  • 1 tsp dried dill (I used a dill blend that included garlic and onion)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 1 cup broccoli florets
  • 1 chicken breast, cooked and chopped 
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 cup fat free evaporated milk
Melt butter in a soup pot, add onion and cook over low heat for 10 minutes, or until onion is soft.  Whisk in flour and cook, stirring for 3-5 minutes, or until the foaming of the flour has subsided.  Stir in broccoli stems, chicken stock, dill, salt and pepper.  Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.

Pour 1/2 of soup into blender and puree.  Pour puree into a bowl and set aside.  Puree rest of soup.  Pour all of the pureed soup back into the soup pot.  Add broccoli florets, chicken breast, lemon juice and milk.  Stir all together and taste to determine if you need more seasonings.

Continue simmering on low until hot, but do not allow to boil.

Serves 6.

Comment (1)

I adore pit bulls. Thanks for your donation!