spoon

Ina's Seafood Stew

Category: , , , ,

It's January 1 and I wanted to start the year off with a healthy, yet special meal.  It wasn't difficult for me to choose Ina's Seafood Stew. I think this is the third time I've made this and it's been a winner every time; it's healthy, hearty and delicious!


I made a few changes to her recipe which I included here:
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onions (2 small)
  • 2 cups large-diced small white potatoes
  • 2 cups chopped fennel (1 large bulb)
  • 2 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
  • 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 cup white wine
  • 2 (28-ounce) cans whole tomatoes, with juices
  • 2 cups seafood stock or clam juice
  • 1 Tbsp chopped garlic (3 cloves)
  • 1 tsp saffron threads
  • 1 lb mixed seafood (shrimp, calamari, scallops)
  • 1 1/2 lbs mussels, cleaned 
Heat the oil in a stockpot, add the onions, potatoes, fennel, salt, and pepper, and saute over medium heat for 15 minutes, until the onions begin to brown. Add the wine and scrape up the brown bits with a wooden spoon. Add the tomatoes with their juices, stock, garlic, and saffron to the pot.  Break up the tomatoes, then bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes, until the potatoes are tender. Add the seafood and mussels, bring to a boil, then lower the heat, cover, and cook for 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow the pot to sit covered for another 5 minutes. The seafood should be cooked and the mussels opened. Discard any mussels that don't open. Serves 6-8.

Serve with crusty bread to soak up the delicious broth!

Comments (2)

Great Recipe! Thank you! I had fun with it for the soup/stew swap!

I'm glad you enjoyed it and were able to hit up a sale to keep the cost down (that's what I usually do too!).