spoon

Chicken Enchilada Bake

Category: , ,

I have a confession.  I've only eaten enchiladas 4 times in total, and all within the last 1-1 1/2 years.  I know, what was I thinking?  Honestly, I never knew about their deliciousness until I started seeing posts about them on a cooking forum I frequent.  I am SO glad I've corrected this wrong doing!

The first time I made enchiladas I bought the sauce in the can.  No bueno!  It gave me, and later I found out my BIL, awful heartburn.  So much for a delicious "new baby meal".  For my second attempt I made Mary Ellen's sauce, and it was awesome, but time consuming!  Then I tried this sauce on Pink Parsley's blog; there is no turning back!

Overall this is a time consuming meal for a weeknight, however, I used Jaime's method of layering before, so I turned to this again to save a little time.  If you do a little prep work on the weekend, I cooked and shredded the chicken on Sunday, you can easily assemble and pop this in the oven.


Here is how the whole recipe came together:

Sauce, from Pink Parsley:
  • 1 medium onion, chopped fine
  • 2 jalapenos, seeded and chopped fine (I used 1 chipotle in adobo)
  • 1 tsp canola oil
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 Tbsp chili powder (I didn't have any so I made some)
  • 2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 Tbsp sugar
  • 15 oz tomato sauce (I had crushed tomatoes so that's what I used)
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 large beefsteak tomato, seeded and chopped (I used a handful of grape tomatoes with seeds)
Combine the onion, jalapeno and oil in a large saucepan. Cover and cook over medium heat, stirring often, until the onions and peppers have softened, 8-10 minutes. Stir in the garlic, chili powder, cumin, and sugar, and cook until fragrant, less than 30 seconds. Stir in the tomato sauce, water, and chopped tomato. Bring to a simmer, and cook until slightly thickened, 5 minutes.

Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.  Turn off heat and set aside.
    Cheese filling, my creation:
    • 1/3 cup light sour cream
    • 1/3 cup low fat cottage cheese
    • 3 oz. light cream cheese
    • 2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
    • handful cilantro, chopped
    Mix all ingredients in a small bowl and set aside. 
      Other ingredients:
      • Cooking spray 
      • 12 corn tortillas
      • 2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
      • 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
      Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

      Spray 8x8 baking dish with cooking spray.  Layer 4 tortillas in the bottom of the baking dish.  Spread 1/2 of chicken over tortillas.  Spread 1 1/4 cup of sauce over chicken.  Spread 1/2 of cheese filling over sauce.  Repeat with another layer of tortillas, chicken, sauce and cheese.  Place the last 4 tortillas on top.  Top with 1 cup of sauce and 1/2 cup of cheese.

      Cover and bake for 20-25 minutes.  Uncover and bake another 10 minutes.  Let sit 5-10 minutes before serving.  Serves 4-6.

      Note: Overall I use more chicken than cheese.  If you want more cheesiness, just increase each ingredient in the cheese filling and/or decrease the amount of chicken.  In my head the less fat I use the more I can eat!  It's a good theory anyway.

        Comments (0)