spoon

Sausage, Peppers and Onions to Feed a Crowd

Category: , ,

This post is an odd one. I've never posted something I haven't tried. There are very few things that I won't eat, but Italian sausage is one of them. JR is the taste tester for this dish, although I will admit that I did taste the peppers and onions to check for seasoning.


I also find it odd that this one dish I won't eat is often requested for gatherings, the only time I make it besides the occasional treat for JR when I won't be around for dinner. I suppose some day I may have to try it to see what the hype is all about. For now, I'll just keep it as an option to feed a crowd. I promise if you make this for your next gathering it will disappear in no time.

Here is what you'll need:
  • 8 lbs Italian sausage (I used 6 lbs sweet and 2 lbs hot), cut into large chunks
  • 3 green bell peppers, cut into large chunks
  • 3 red bell peppers, cut into large chunks
  • 3 Vidalia onions, cut into large chunks
  • 8 cloves of garlic
  • 2 Tbsp Italian seasoning
  • sea salt 
  • freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Evenly split all of the ingredients into 2 large baking pans (I used a large disposable sterno rack pan and a large roasting pan). Mix everything to be sure the sausage, peppers and onions are evenly coasted with seasonings and oil.

Bake for 75-90 minutes, or longer if required, stirring occasionally until sausage is browned and cooked through. If you are cooking both pans at the same time, you may find the top pan browns and cooks through sooner than the bottom pan. If this happens, rotate the pans to the opposite rack at around 45 minutes.

When the sausage is done I dump it all into the sterno rack pan and cover it with aluminum foil so it can be kept warm during the gathering.

Servings: 32 based on 1/4 lb of meat per person and taking into account there is variety of food, including other meats, to choose from. For a normal dinner to serve 2-4, I would cut this down to 1 lb of meat and divide the other ingredients by 6.

Source: Adventures in My Kitchen original

Comments (2)

This is a great idea for a large crowd. I never would have thought of it.

What else do you serve this with?