spoon

Turkey Burger Pitas with Tzatziki

Category: , , ,

Greek food is pretty high up on my list of favorites. I'm known for ordering a gyro platter (gyro, Greek salad and fries or soup) at our neighborhood pizza joint. When I saw these burgers pop up on A Taste of Home Cooking I knew they needed to make an appearance on our meal plan.


While this recipe looks like a lot of work, this meal came together fairly quickly. I made the tzatziki and while it was chilling I made the burgers, cooked them and assembled dinner. You could also make the components the night before or morning of, which I love to do in order to make dinnertime more manageable.

The tzatziki really makes this meal great! The burgers were really juicy due to the zucchini, but I think next time I'll add some oregano and possibly feta to bump up their flavor a bit. If you like Greek food, these are well worth putting on your weekly meal plan!

For the Tzatziki:
  • 1/2 English Cucumber, peeled, seeded and finely diced
  • 12 oz Greek yogurt
  • 1 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tsp white wine vinegar
  • 1 tsp olive oil 
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  • salt and pepper to taste
Mix all ingredients in a small mixing bowl. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or longer.

For the Burgers:
  • 3/4 lb ground turkey
  • 1 small zucchini, shredded
  • 1/4 small onion, shredded
  • 1 Tbsp cilantro
  • salt pepper
  • 2 tsp olive oil
Mix all ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Divide into 8 portions, and form each portion into a mini burger about 1-1/2 inch thick.

Preheat a small frying pan over medium-high heat. Add burgers to the pan and cook for about 6 minutes. Flip and cook on second side for another 5-6 minutes.

To Serve:
  • 2 pita with pockets, cut in half
  • 1/2 English cucumber, sliced thinly
  • 1 small tomato, sliced thinly
  • 1/2 onion, sliced thinly
Place cucumber, tomato and onion slices in a pita half. Add 2 burgers and top with tzatziki.

Serves: 4, 2 mini burgers each

Source: Adapted from Weight Watchers as seen on A Taste of Home Cooking

Comments (2)

So happy you liked them! I agree about the oregano in the burger mix. I'm going to modify my recipe to include it.

I made greek burgers a couple weeks ago (not turkey though) and they were delicious. Such a good combo.