spoon

Simple Barbeque Sauce

Category: ,

When I made the Barbeque Pulled Pork and Smoked Gouda Potatoes I mentioned I made a quick barbeque sauce since I didn't have any on hand. There is different recipe I usually gravitate towards, however, its more involved and I knew I didn't have some of the ingredients on hand.

This recipe was perfect because it had a nice kick to it but didn't overpower the pork, and had a limited list of ingredients. Ingredients that I'd guess you almost always have on hand. A great example of a condiment that's easy enough to make, making me think twice before I buy it again.


I divided the remaining sauce into 2 small containers and froze it. I have pulled pork in the freezer too, so I know these Barbeque Pulled Pork and Smoked Gouda Potatoes will be hitting our table again on a busy weeknight soon!

  • 6 oz tomato paste
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar, loosely measured (not packed)
  • 2 Tbsp dijon mustard
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp pork or chicken rub (or a barbeque/grilling seasoning)
  • 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 3 1/2 cups water

Place all ingredients in a small saucepan and mix. Bring to a rolling boil over medium-high heat. Cook for 20-30 minutes until it begins to thicken. Lower heat to medium (or medium-low) and continue to cook until it's thickened to your desired consistency. Makes about 1 1/2 to 2 cups.

Source: Claire Robinson via Food Network

Comment (1)

I'm so impressed with your homemade barbecue sauce!