spoon

Pennsylvania Dutch Brownies

Category: , ,

How is it that today is the last day of September?  This year is just flying by and it's making me a little sad.  Sad because that means my nephew's next birthday is just around the corner.  I know I should be happy, but he is growing up too quickly!  It's been amazing to watch him grow, and I so look forward to each time I see him.

A week or so ago JR and I went to visit him and his parents for the day.  We brought Italian Drip Beef for lunch and wanted to take along dessert as well.  Generally, cookies or brownies go well with this family.  However, as I may have mentioned before, I do not like making cookies.  I tend to go for bar recipes because they don't require too much babysitting, nor do they require multiple batches.


I initially picked a peanut butter blondie recipe from an old magazine, but then I realized it made 2-13x9 pans.  Cutting down the recipe wasn't gong to be easy since it called for 3 eggs.  So I abandoned this idea and started searching through cookbooks.

I came across this interesting brownie recipe.  Not only did I find the ingredients interesting, the directions were a bit different too, and easy.  You cook these on the stovetop, no mixer is required.  Do you see a pattern here?  I know, I was being lazy, but in the end I was so glad I decided on this recipe.

The result was a really unique, spicy, slightly chocolatey brownie. They are delicious.  So if you are looking for something new to take to your next gathering, go ahead and make these.  You won't be dissapointed.

Here is what you'll need:
  • 4 Tbsp butter
  • 1 oz. unsweetened chocolate
  • 1/4 cup molasses
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/2 tsp ground cloves
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup plus 2 tsp sugar
  • 1 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
Preheat oven to 375F.  Grease 13 x 9 pan, set aside.

Melt butter and chocolate in a 4-qt saucepan over low heat.  

Once melted, remove from heat and whisk in molasses.  Then whisk in eggs, whisking constantly and quickly so they don't scramble.

Stir in flour, ginger, cloves, baking soda, salt, 1 cup sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon with a wooden spoon until just combined.

Spread batter evenly in pan, place in oven and bake 15 to 20 minutes, until toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Mix remaining sugar and cinnamon together in a small bowl and set aside.

When you remove the pan from the oven, immediately sprinkle with sugar cinnamon blend.

Cool completely on a wire rack before slicing.  Serves 24 (more or less depending on how big or small you slice).

Comments (0)