spoon

What's Baking: For the Gods Carrot Cake

Category: , ,

Dani from Cloud 8½ is the host of this month's What's Baking, and chose the theme A Family Favorite.  This immediately sent me to my Grange cookbook (circa 1975) which was a cookbook used by both sides of my family growing up.  Even though my handed-down copy is falling apart, and although I don't picture myself ever making roast pigeons or squirrel pot pie, I still treasure this cookbook and make several recipes from it.


It was hard for me to choose just one recipe, but I decided on For the Gods Carrot Cake since that was the first recipe I remember helping make from it and it was a childhood favorite of mine.  As you'll see from the ingredients, this is in no way healthy, but it's definitely the most moist cake I've ever eaten.

Here is what you'll need:
  • 3/4 vegetable oil
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded carrot
  • 1/2 raisins
  • 1/2 cup chopped nuts (I used pecans)
  • Confectioners' sugar
Preheat oven to 350F.  Grease bundt pan and set aside.

Beat oil, eggs, sugar, flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt together for 5 minutes.  Add carrot, raisins and nuts, and mix well.

Pour into bundt pan and bake for 35 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.


Cool in pan before turning out onto serving plate.  Dust with confectioners' sugar.  Serves 8-10.

    Source: National Grange Bicentennial Year Cookbook

    Comments (0)