spoon

Choux Pastry

Category: ,

I'm pretty proud of these little pastries!  When I was given the profiterole recipe for the recipe swap I was initially overwhelmed, but I knew I needed to take on the challenge.  I didn't know where to find the pastry nearby, so I went ahead and took on the challenge to make them as well.
 
It really wasn't much of a challenge, I followed the directions exactly and had no issues at all.  These have minimal ingredients, so I'm going out on a limb here and pretending I saved myself a bunch of money by making them myself.  You know the fancy name adds a few dollars to the price! 

I want to caution you, as with any recipe, read the instructions all the way through before starting!  I should know better, but still I did not do this and as a result missed a complete step near the end. 

Here is what you'll need:
  • 1/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon granulated white sugar
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 large egg  
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
Preheat oven to 400F, and make sure rack is in the middle.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

In a mixing bowl, sift together flour, sugar and salt.  Set aside.   

In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add butter and water.  Bring to a boil.  Remove pan from heat and add dry ingredients.  Using a wooden spoon, stir quickly until dough forms a ball.

Place dough in stand mixer and beat on low until it cools to warm (I watched for the steam to dissappear).  Add 1 egg and continue to mix until combined.  The dough will now be sticky.

Using 2 spoons, scoop out dough and drop 6 mounds onto the baking sheet leaving plenty of space between each one.  

In a small bowl, beat remaining egg and salt until combined.  Using a pastry brush, brush egg mixture over each scoop of dough.  

Place baking sheet in oven and bake for 15 minutes.  Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake another 30-40 minutes (I took mine out at 35 minutes) or until golden brown on the outside and dry inside when split in half.  Turn the oven off, prop the door open and leave tray in oven another 10-15 minutes (I completely skipped this step because I didn't read all the way through, and they were fine!).

Remove from oven and finish cooling on a rack.  Serves 6.

Source: Joy of Baking 

    Comments (0)