spoon

Stuffed Pepper Soup

Category: , , , , , ,

Ah, Stuffed Pepper Soup.  I haven't had this in a few years, and have been craving it like crazy.  Unfortunately, the local lunch place that sold my favorite Stuffed Pepper Soup went out of business a few years ago.  While I'm still sad they are gone, I am quite happy I have a recipe to make this soup myself now!  I was especially happy to see this recipe included rice, as I remember the local lunch place would serve their version over white rice.  So delicious!


My craving happened to come at an appropriate time, as I have a ton of peppers coming out of my garden (the last of this years produce besides spinach).  I bumped up the vegetables to make each serving more filling since I wasn't serving anything along side.  Not only did this make a filling, comforting meal, it was a cinch to throw together on a weeknight.

Here is what you'll need:

  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 2 cups water
  • 16 ounces tomato sauce
  • 28 oz canned plum tomatoes, undrained
  • 1/2 cup uncooked white rice
  • 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
  • 2 Tbsp packed brown sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 beef bouillon cube
  • 1 teaspoon pepper
Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat.  Season ground beef with salt and pepper, add to pot and cook until brown.  Drain excess fat.

Add remaining ingredients to pot, stir and break up tomatoes using a wooden spoon.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low.  Cover and simmer 30 minutes or until peppers are tender.  Serves 4.
    Source: Taste of Home

    Comments (0)