spoon

Chex Caramel Corn

Category: ,

My week of sweet treats continues, after a one day interruption (sorry, I had unexpected schedule overload!). I was looking for something to munch on while I baked and something I could throw in my lunches. Something that was sweet, salty and crunchy. I looked around Chex's website to see what I could come up with since I have 2 boxes of Corn Chex.


When I spotted this Caramel Corn Chex Mix recipe it brought me back to my childhood, when we used to make caramel popcorn balls that we wrapped and hid in our Christmas tree. I don't know if this was only something our family did, or if this was a thing back in the day. Do any of you have memories of this?

Of course this would be great bagged up for your holiday trays, or just as a big bowl for guests to munch on before or after a meal. I'm not sure what I liked about this most, the fact that you use the microwave and it's done within 15 minutes, or that it has just a light coating of caramel, enough to add sweetness, but not so much that it sticks to your teeth.

By the way, I don't plan on bringing the popcorn ball tradition back anytime soon, not with this frequent sighting in our tree...


Here is what you'll need:
  • 4 cups popped popcorn
  • 4 cups of your favorite Chex Cereal (I used Corn Chex)
  • 1/2 cup peanuts 
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 Tbsp light corn syrup
  • 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • decorating sprinkles
Line a baking sheet with wax paper. Set aside.

Mix popcorn, cereal and peanuts in a large microwaveable bowl.

In a medium microwaveable bowl, add butter, brown sugar, corn syrup and vanilla extract. Microwave 1 minutes. Stir. Microwave another 1 minute, until bubbling. Pour over popcorn mixture. Stir.

Microwave popcorn mixture for 1 minute. Stir and scrape side of the bowl. Repeat microwaving and stirring 4 - 5 times. When the mixture comes of the microwave the last time, shake on sprinkles and stir.

Spread mixture on lined baking sheet. Allow to cool. Store in an airtight container.

Source: Slightly adapted from Chex

Comment (1)

I don't think I've ever had a sweet chex mix!