spoon

Chicken Salad for the Ladies

Category: , ,

As I mentioned in my Pistachio Pudding Tart post, I had several ladies over recently which was a great opportunity to make a bunch of finger foods. I'm sure many of you can relate to this, it took me forever to finalize what I planned to serve. And it wasn't until the night before when everything came together, and these Chicken Salad Sandwiches were added.

  

Truth be told, I was exhausted and wanted something easy. Since I had stopped at the grocery store on my way home from work to pick up a rotisserie chicken for dinner, I decided to use the leftover chicken for sandwiches. I knew I had a plain eating crowd, so I had to keep things simple, but I wanted a little something special so I opted to add a bit of cranberries for sweetness and scallions for balance. And since a few of us are watching what we eat, I cut the mayonnaise with yogurt which added a nice flavor as well.

I made the filling the night before and assembled a few hours before the party. These were well received, and even though I'm saying this recipe is "for the Ladies", JR enjoyed the leftovers as well! 

Keep your eye out later this week for a fun spin on those egg salad sandwiches you see hiding in the background! In the meantime, mix up a batch of this salad for your lunch tomorrow.

Here is what you'll need:
  • 2 cups finely chopped chicken 
  • 1/3 cup dried cranberries, coarsely chopped
  • 1 green onion, finely chopped
  • 3 Tbsp mayonnaise
  • 3 Tbsp plain non-fat yogurt
  • sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste 
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder 
  • 12 mini sweet Hawaiian rolls
Add all ingredients, except rolls, to a mixing bowl and combine well. Scoop a heaping tablespoon of chicken salad onto each roll. Makes 12 mini sandwiches.

Source: Adventures in My Kitchen original

Comments (4)

These are great,,,,I don't add scallions, but add walnuts. The combination of cranberries and walnuts is a nice flavor too.

We've been doing a lot of "salad" sandwiches lately. They're just so quick and easy. I add grapes to my chicken salad.

These were great! I must confess I had NO clue there was yogurt in the mixture (coming from a mayo lover). The combination of cranberries and scallions is something I would not usually eat together but this combo really worked well. Great job on this one! :)

Nuts sound good, but I'd probably go with pecans (I'm not fond of walnuts).

Grapes, hmm, would you go with a sweet grape? Do they get soggy? Add right before serving?

And Melissa, see, healthy/healthier isn't always bad! But I bet if I had said these were made with yogurt no one would have even touched them!