spoon

Scalloped Potatoes with Ham

Category: , , ,

I'm trying to get better about wasting less (preferably no) food, and planning meals that will use up ingredients I have on hand. This meal is a perfect example of using up leftover ham and heavy cream from Christmas. And it's easy, which was great after the craze of the holidays.


I've attempted scalloped potatoes at least once in the past that I can recall, but wasn't impressed with the result (and I'm certain I threw away the leftovers). I'm pretty sure the key here is the heavy cream and thyme, they really bring what I remember as scalloped potatoes (made with a 2% milk and flour mixture) to a new level. I think a layer of thinly sliced green onions would be a great addition to this dish.

While this meal is in no way figure friendly, and probably wouldn't be on many people's New Year meal plan, it's a great comfort food for a chilly winter night. I promise it's worth the calories (everything in moderation!).

Here is what you'll need:
  • 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
  • 1 tsp dried thyme
  • 2 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
  • 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch thick slices (use a mandolin for ease)
  • 1 1/2 cups diced ham
  • 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Spray 9-inch square baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.

In a saucepan over medium-low heat, warm the cream, thyme, garlic, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Watch the cream carefully so it doesn't boil. 

Spread 1/3 of the potatoes in a layer on the bottom of your casserole dish.  Top with 1/2 of the ham. Pour 1/3 of the cream over the ham and potatoes. Repeat with another layer of potatoes, ham, cream, potatoes and finish with the remaining cream.

Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and bake 45 minutes or until potatoes are cooked and the top is golden brown. Allow to rest 5 minutes before serving.

Serves 4.

Source: My Baking Addiction

Comment (1)

Looks like a delicious and hearty meal. Need to try this tonight.