spoon

Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins

Category: , , , ,

Here is the evidence that I need a new muffin pan!  The good news is I received one as a Christmas gift in addition to a mini muffin pan. It may be time to retire this old muffin pan, and I do mean old! I  dug it out of my grandfather's basement many years ago. My guess it this has to be from the 1950-60's. The cups are very shallow, so your average 12 muffin recipe doesn't quite fit, or it does fit but you end up with connected muffin tops. As excited as I am to have a new pan, I don't think I'll be able to part with this one. I think I'll hang it up in our kitchen, or if you have some fun idea of what I could do with it please leave me a comment.
 

Now onto the recipe. This one is from my cousin's school fundraiser cookbook back from 1999, and it happens to be my favorite recipe in this book. While Banana Oat Bread may be my favorite, this one runs very close behind. It's the chocolate chips and almond extract that send these to the front of the pack.

If you're snowed in today and wondering what to bake, go ahead and make these, you won't be disappointed.

Here is what you'll need:
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 3 ripe bananas
  • 1 tsp almond extract
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Grease a 12-cup muffin pan and set aside.

Using a mixer, blend butter, sugar and eggs until light and fluffy. Add salt, flour and baking soda and mix until just combined. Be careful not to over-mix.

Add bananas, almond and vanilla extracts, and mix until combined.

Add chocolate chips and stir by hand until combined.

Evenly distribute batter among the 12 muffin cups. Place in oven and bake 25-30 minutes.

Source: Slightly adapted from Cooking with Ivy Drive

Comments (2)

I had seen a crafty project that used an old muffin tin. They sprayed it with Krylon metallic spray paint, in a goldish shade. Then printed out some photos in black and white. Traced the bottom of the muffin cups on some lightweight cardboard, cut the pictures to that size and glued them to the cardboard cut outs. Attach a small magnet to the back and insert inside the muffin cups. Attach a ribbon to the hole of the muffin pan and hang. This would be nice with some pictures of your grandfather, and you with him.

LOVE this idea! It would be a great way to remember him.