spoon

Chicken Noodle Soup

Category: , , , ,

I'll be honest here and tell you that my go-to soup for years came from a can. That's not the case anymore. If only I had realized that I could have a more flavorful homemade version within 30 minutes I may have cut back eating the canned stuff years ago. If this soup is on my weekly menu, I'll chop the vegetables on the weekend or in the morning before work. This helps keep the prep time to a minimum.


I've played around with the broth ratios and 1/2 stock with 1/2 bullion is my preference, but you could certainly use a ratio of more stock or more bullion based on your preference. I've also tried adding the vegetables to the broth raw vs. sauteing, and sauteing wins hands down. It gives the soup an incredible amount of flavor. I should mention that I like a chunkier soup with less broth, so if you want it soupier just increase the total amount of broth by a few cups.

Why should you believe this soup is a winner? Well, my non-vegetable eating brother-in-law eats it, the whole thing, including the vegetables (although I do omit the celery if I'm making it for this picky-eating family). So if you have a picky eater, maybe you should give this a try.

Here is what you'll need:
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 2 small onions, peeled and chopped
  • 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
  • 2 large outer celery stalks, chopped
  • 2 small inner celery stalks with leaves, chopped
  • 1 dried bay leaf
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 lb chicken breast, chopped
  • 3 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
  • 3 cups homemade chicken stock
  • 3 chicken bullion cubes
  • 3 cups water
  • 4 oz egg noodles (or 4-8 oz pasta of your choice, including tortellini)
In a medium size pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot, celery and bay.  Salt and pepper to taste and saute until vegetables start to brown and onions become translucent. Add chicken and cook until no longer pink.

Add potatoes, stock, bullion, and water. Bring to a gentle boil for 15-20 minutes until potatoes are cooked through.

Meanwhile, in another medium pot, boil egg noodles in salted water for 8 minutes or longer to your preferred texture.

Add noodles to soup or serve soup over noodles if you want to keep the noodles separate for leftovers. Serves 4.

Source: An Adventures in My Kitchen Original

Comments (3)

what a hearty meal.

My favorite chicken noodle soup recipe is from Cooking Light. It's delicious!

This soup is delicious! It always does the trick for me when not feeling so good. Auntie Ammie always wins over her nephew Nathan with this one...too bad he doesn't eat mommy's chicken soup :(