spoon

Shaved Summer Squash with Prosciutto and Goat Cheese

Category: , , , ,

Hello my dear readers!  I've been on a hiatus recovering from an unexpected ailment. My next few posts are recipes I made over a month ago.  I am so sorry, I just didn't have it in me to get them posted.  The good news is that I'm well now,  I finally feel like blogging and I have a bunch of recipes to share with you.  I thank you for sticking with me and hope you enjoy what is to come! 

You can see a trend with the last few posts; the weather was getting warmer and my last 3 posts are salads.  Well, I hope you don't mind, but the June 2011 edition of Cooking Light had several great looking recipes, a few of which happened to be salads including this one.  This works for me, because their prep really couldn't be any easier which is great for a weeknight meal.


My local store doesn't sell ricotta salata, so I opted to go with goat cheese which I think worked well.  Luckily I had just purchased a mint plant for my garden, because the mint really adds another dimension of freshness which I glad we didn't miss out on.  While I have a jar of dried mint, I think fresh ingredients all around is the only way to go with this dish.

Here is what you'll need:
  • 1 medium zucchini
  • 2 medium yellow squash
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 Tbsp thinly sliced fresh mint
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp grated lemon rind
  • 1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • 3 thin slices prosciutto (1 ounce), chopped (I think you need 4 slices, one to snack on)
  • 1/4 cup (1 ounce) crumbled ricotta salata, feta cheese or goat cheese
Using a vegetable peeler over a large mixing bowl, shave the zucchini and squash lengthwise into long noodle-like strips.  Salt vegetables and toss.

In a small bowl, combine mint, olive oil, lemon rind, lemon juice, and black pepper.  Pour liquid over squash, toss and allow to sit.

In a medium frying pan over medium-high heat, cook prosciutto until browned and crisp.  Transfer to a plate to cool.  Once cool, eat one slice and crumble the rest into bite size pieces.

Add prosciutto and cheese to squash and gently toss to combine.  Serves 3.

    Comments (0)