spoon

Jam Filled Muffins

Category: , ,

Our niece recently came to stay with us for a long weekend.  I wanted to have something for her to snack on after her long train ride, as well as something to grab as a breakfast treat.  I knew I wanted to incorporate jam in some way since I've had an obsession with it lately; there are so many interesting flavors at the stores and farmer's markets!

I remember years ago having what I remember to be jam filled corn muffins so I started searching for a recipe and came up with this one from Cooking Village.  While it's not a corn muffin, I was equally happy with the result!


I made 2 varieties, blackberry and lingonberry.  As you can see, the lingonberry preserves didn't work well.  It was too thin.  Instead of sinking into the muffin, it spread over the top and spilled onto bottom of my oven.  I recommend using a firmer gelled jam, so that you aren't cleaning your oven in the middle of summer...

Let's talk about the blackberry ones since that worked worked well.  I loved the way the jam buried itself in the middle of the muffin.  It was perfectly distributed and allowed for a bit of sweet jam in each bite.  I think our niece like them too because they were gone by the end of the weekend.

A couple pieces of advice: read the instructions all the way through first!  I didn't and missed out on the sugar topping.  Also, I'd put a baking sheet under my muffin time next time, just in case!

Here is what you'll need:
  • 2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 Tbsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 1 1/4 cup milk
  • 4 Tbsp jam
  • 1/4 cup sugar divided 
Preheat oven to 400F.  Grease a 12 cup muffin tin or use cupcake liners.

In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and 2 Tbsp sugar, and mix well.

Add egg, oil and milk and mix well until just combined.  Do not overmix.

Fill muffin cups 2/3 full.  Place 1 tsp jam in the center of each muffin.  Sprinkle the tops with remaining sugar.

Bake for 20 minutes.  Makes 12 muffins.

Comments (0)