spoon

Quick and Easy Chocolate Cheesecake Trifle

Category: , ,

Let's face it, we all have hectic schedules and a few shortcuts are welcomed every now and then.  That's exactly what happened to me over Memorial Day weekend.  I had grand plans of making homemade ice cream and popsicles, but the weekend got hectic and those plans didn't materialize.  Not to mention it was SOOO hot, and our air conditioners weren't in for the season.  That's when a suggestion from my sister crept into my mind.  I went with it and came up with this dessert that got me out of the kitchen in no time.  Unfortunately I didn't snap a photo of the final product, but I was able to capture one of what little remained...


Now that I think about it, it would have been much cooler to make ice cream and popsicles vs. baking a pound cake.  Obviously the heat got to my brain!

I ended up making a second shortcut dessert this weekend as well.  I used the strawberry mixture from my Strawberry Shortcake, adding blueberries to the mix, and served it over a store bought angel food cake with whipped cream.  Everyone enjoyed it just as much as if I'd made the whole thing from scratch.

Here is what you'll need for the trifle:
  • 1 chocolate pound cake, cut into 1 inch cubes (I made a box mix according to package directions)
  • 2 packages cheesecake pudding
  • 3 cups milk
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 2 Tbsp confectioner's sugar
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • chocolate syrup for drizzling
In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the pudding and milk until the powder is completely dissolved.  Chill in refrigerator until thickened.

Make the whipped cream when you are ready to assembly the trifle.  Using an electric mixer at high speed, add heavy cream, sugar and vanilla to a chilled bowl.  Beat until stiff peaks form.

To assemble the trifle, start by layering 1/3 of the pound cake in the bottom of a bowl, top with 1/2 of the pudding, drizzle with chocolate syrup.  Repeat the layers.  Top with whipped cream and drizzle with more chocolate syrup.  Serves 8-10.

    Comment (1)

    That looks really good- I love all things chocolate and cheesecake.

    And I feel you on things getting too hectic. I try my best to meal-plan, etc. but never get to everything I so carefully put down on paper!