spoon

Cheesy Italian Meatloaf

Category: , ,

JR requested meatloaf for dinner which I initially wasn't thrilled about.  It's been 90+ degrees out, who wants to turn on the oven?  I thought about trying to make this on the grill, but then again I didn't feel experimenting while sitting outside in 90+ degrees.  You see, we had a planning error which placed our grill patio right where the sun is blazing at dinner time.  I starting thinking about an alternate dinner, when it struck me.  Making meatloaf would be no problem if I cooked it in our countertop oven.  I suppose the heat was making me slow initially...


I decided to keep this a simple meal with an Italian flair and poked around to see what I had on hand to do so.  I ended up with this cheesy meatloaf paired with Panzanella.  This quickly prepared meal not only satisfied JR's meatloaf craving, but it kept me from overheating the kitchen.  And hello, it's full of cheese which automatically makes it delicious!

As I've mentioned in other posts, you can substitute ground turkey here if that is your preference.

Here is what you'll need:
  • 1 lbs. ground sirloin
  • 1 egg
  • 1/3 cup Italian bread crumbs
  • 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 oz. Fontina cheese, grated
  • 4 basil leaves, chopped
  • 1/2 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
  • 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Coat baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.

Add all ingredients, reserving 1 Tbsp olive oil, to a mixing bowl and combine until thoroughly mixed.

Form into 3 small loaves and place on baking sheet.  Drizzle 1 tsp olive oil over each loaf.  Bake for 20 minutes.

Top each loaf with 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese.  Continue baking 10-15 minutes until cheese is browned and center of meat is cooked through.  Serves 3.

Comments (0)