spoon

Veal Tagine

Category: , , , , , , ,

A few weeks back, JR and I ate lunch at a Moroccan restaurant.  JR had a lamb and potato tagine which he loved and asked me to make at home.  Just before our lunch, we had picked up some veal stew meat at the farmer's market, so I figured I would experiment with that.  The only issue was that this cuisine is new to me.  I was going to need help from my friend Google, but wouldn't you know Caitlin's Cooking and More posted this recipe just a few days later.  While the flavorings in her version are different than what JR had, it was a starting point.


I changed the recipe by using veal, subbing potatoes for squash and using double tomatoes and no stock.  We both enjoyed this, however, we agreed we'll have to try the restaurant's dish again so I can get a better idea of what it is made of since it is quite different than this dish.  I do think I would make this version again, although I would cut back on the red pepper flakes since they were too prominent (JR's preference). 

My changes are included here:
  • 2  tsp smoked paprika
  • 1  tsp  ground cinnamon
  • 3/4  tsp kosher  salt
  • 1/2  tsp  ground ginger
  • 1/2  tsp crushed red pepper flakes (next time I will only use 1/4 tsp)
  • 1/4  tsp  freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 lb beef top round, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
  • 1  tablespoon  olive oil
  • 4  shallots, quartered
  • 4  garlic cloves, chopped
  • 28 oz. diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 3 potatoes, cubed
Put spices and meat in a bowl and combine until meat is coated.
Heat dutch oven over medium-high heat, and add olive oil.  When oil is hot, add meat to the pan and sear until browned on all sides.  Push meat to sides of pan. 

Add shallots to middle of pan and cook, stirring, for a minutes until slightly browned.  Add garlic and cook, stirring all together, until fragrant.  
Add tomatoes and bring to a boil.  Lower heat to medium-low, add potatoes, and bring to a simmer.  Cover and continue to simmer for about 30 min, until potatoes are cooked through.  Serves 4.

Comments (3)

Your version looks great!

it's Tagine, not Tangine ~fyi ;)

Thank you both for your comments.