spoon

Grilled Honey Tangerine Chicken Sandwiches

Category: , ,

Several years ago I was living with a friend after my condo building was uninhabitable due to a fire.  She loved to cook and always included me in her family's dinner when my schedule would allow.  I always enjoyed those dinners.  I loved being able to help her prepare the meal, and it was so refreshing to sit down to dinner with a family.  Back at the condo, I often pulled together something quick and ate in silence, aside from Lacey begging for my food.  Some days I didn't mind that, but after a while it got lonely.

I was sorting through recipes the other day and came across this Rachael Ray recipe she introduced me to, and I immediately put it on my menu for the week.  When dinner time came, I was missing one of the important ingredients, a lime, but I had lemons and tangerines - time to experiment!  While lemon seemed like the obvious choice, I decided to use a tangerine.  It worked. 


I think I need to do a side by side comparison next time to determine which I like better.  But really, what's not to love about either version of an easy weeknight sandwich dinner?

See that awful looking tomato?  Yeah, I should have skipped the tomatoes.  The looked good on the outside, but not so much on the inside.  Just another reason why I can't wait for summer and my garden.

Here is what you'll need:
  • 1 tangerine
  • 2 Tbsp honey
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • A handful cilantro, roughly chopped
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 2-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 tsp grill seasoning
  • Toppings of your choice, we used: lousy out of season tomatoes, red onion, avocado, salsa and sour cream
  • 4 rolls
In a medium bowl add  juice from the tangerine, honey, cumin, cilantro and oil in a bowl and mix well.  Add chicken breast to bowl, stirring to coat well.  Set aside 15 minutes.

Heat grill or grill pan to medium high.  Place chicken on grill pan and cook for 4-5 minutes.  Flip and finish cooking on other side.  Be careful that you pan isn't too hot, and watch as these cook since the honey burns easily.

Once removed from the heat, let the chicken sit for a few minutes.  Then serve on rolls with your favorite toppings.

Comment (1)

Thank you for a great swap recipe!