spoon

Honey Mustard Coleslaw

Category: , , ,

I've been experimenting with different creamy coleslaw recipes and have yet to find one I really like.  I used to follow the directions on the bag of shredded cabbage, but these days I don't buy the bag anymore.  Buying the full head of cabbage stretches into multiple meals, so that is what I do now.  This may not be a good thing for JR though! ;)


Today I wanted to make JR one of his favorite lunches, a double bacon cheeseburger.  However, I can't eat a double bacon cheeseburger without gaining 5 lbs, so I make myself a single with a vegetable side dish.  I wanted a smoky burger, so I thought a honey mustard coleslaw would pair nicely.

We both really liked the zip and mild sweetness that this had, plus I was happy to be able to keep the mayonnaise to a minimum making this fairly healthy.  This is definitely something can see us eating throughout the upcoming grilling season.

Do you have a favorite coleslaw recipe I should try?

Here is what you'll need:
  • 1 tsp grainy mustard
  • 1 tsp dijon mustard
  • 1 tsp honey
  • 1/2 tsp sugar
  • 3 Tbsp mayonnaise with olive oil
  • 2 cups shredded cabbage
  • 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
  • 1 carrot, shredded
Combine the mustards, honey, sugar and mayo in a large bowl.  Mix well.  Add remaining ingredients and mix until well incorporated.  Refrigerate for a minimum of 15 minutes before serving.  Serves 2.

Comment (1)

I love cole slaw as a side to a great burger or BBQ. I’ve never had honey mustard cole slaw but I can’t wait to try this!