spoon

Strawberry Lemon Glazed Muffins

Category: ,

JR and I both had a busy Saturday ahead of us so since I woke before the alarm, not unusual, I wanted to prepare something we could eat before we heading out. The truth is, I wanted to prepare something that JR would eat rather than leaving on an empty stomach. We only had 1 egg and we had eaten our share of oatmeal and fruit breakfasts during the week, so I turned to my muffin cookbook (in my quest to actually cook from my cookbooks) and thumbed through for recipes requiring only 1 egg.


The first recipe in the book happens to be a basic muffin recipe. Perfect. I adapted the recipe to include whole wheat flour and decided on a strawberry lemon flavoring. Good strawberries are starting to appear at our grocery store now and I'm able to get 2 lbs for less than 1 lb normally costs. As you can imagine I've been buying them up like crazy.

To finish off the muffins, I topped them with a simple lemon glaze. JR and I both enjoyed these for a weekend morning treat. The addition of the glaze was perfect because the muffin itself is not overly sweet. My mind is already churning with ideas for other flavor combinations.

Here is what you'll need:

For the Muffins:
  •  1 cup all purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 3/4 cup chopped strawberries
  • 1 tsp dried lemon peel
Preheat oven to 400F. Grease 12 cup muffin pan and set aside.

In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.  Make a hole in the center of the ingredients.

In a small bowl, combine egg, milk and oil. Add to dry mixture and mix until just combined, being careful not to overmix.

Add strawberries and lemon peel, and stir into batter.

Divide batter evenly into 12 muffin cups. Bake 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

For the Glaze:
  • 3 Tbsp sugar
  • 3 Tbsp lemon juice
During the last few minutes of baking, combine sugar and lemon juice.

After removing the muffins from the oven, drizzle 1 tsp glaze over each muffin top. Allow to cool 10 minutes before removing from pan. Makes 12 muffins.

Source: Adapted from The Muffin Book

Comments (4)

I love adding citrus to muffins - sometimes I even grate some of the lemon zest and mix it with a bit of brown sugar and oats for the topping - you get a nice kick of citrus in every bite. :D

I never put glaze on my muffins, but I really should - it's such a good idea.

Yummy! These look delicious! perfect for the weekend! I wonder if they would freeze well...

Jessy, I haven't tried freezing these, but I have another glazed bread i freeze and it works well. I wish I froze these because I had to throw 3 away yesterday - what a shame!