spoon

Stuffed Cabbage and Peppers

Category: , , , , ,

Now that Fall is here, we've switched from lighter grilled meals to heartier stovetop meals. What I love about Stuffed Cabbage and Peppers is, while it's a one-pot, hearty, stovetop meal, it's still on the lighter side. 


I have 2 stuffed cabbage recipes that I normally make. This one loosely resembles the recipe made by my mother as far back as I can remember. I don't know her measurements (there probably aren't any), nor do I know her exact ingredients, but I do remember piling all the wrapped cabbage and stuffed peppers in a pot, adding potatoes and covering them all with tomatoes. I took that memory and created a recipe around it and this is what I came up with. Enjoy!

Here is what you'll need:
  • 7 outer cabbage leaves
  • 3 cubanelle peppers
  • 1 lb. ground sirloin
  • 1 tsp oregano 
  • salt and pepper
  • 1 egg
  • 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/4 cup bread crumbs (or minute rice)
  • 1/4 large onion, finely diced
  • 1/4 head of cabbage, chopped
  • 1 cubanelle pepper, diced
  • 8 small potatoes, halved or quartered
  • 8 small tomatoes, quartered
  • 8 oz. tomato sauce
  • 1 Tbsp brown sugar
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
Fill a large pot with water and boil the 7 outer cabbage leaves until they are softened and partially cooked. Drain and set aside.

Hollow out 3 cubanelle peppers by cutting a circle around the stem and emptying out the seeds. Set aside.

In a mixing bowl add ground sirloin, oregano, salt, pepper, egg, Worcestershire, bread crumbs and onion. Combine until just mixed. Divide meat mixture into 10 portions.

Wrap 1 portion of meat mixture inside each of the cabbage leaves as if you were making a burrito. Stuff the remaining portions of meat into each of the cubanelle peppers.

Place wrapped cabbage and stuffed peppers in a large pot. Add chopped cabbage, diced pepper, potatoes, and tomatoes to the pot.

In a small bowl, combine tomato sauce, brown sugar and garlic. Mix well and pour over all ingredients in the pot. Cover.

Turn stove to medium/medium-high heat until the liquid begins to boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for about 35-45 minutes, or until meat is cooked through and potatoes are tender. Serves 4-5.
Source: Adventures In My Kitchen Original

Comment (1)

stuffed cabbage I'm familiar with. But not with peppers! This is a new one for me.