spoon

Potato Crust Quiche

Category: , ,

It's been a while since I've participated in the recipe swaps, and I'm really glad to be back participating with the group. This round was Blogger's Choice, and the blog I was assigned was Prevention RD. I love Nicole's blog, having tried many recipes from it in the past. 


I was initially looking for a meat-free dinner option, and almost made this Eggplant Zucchini Bolognese (minus the meat), but I just couldn't get into the mood for making it this week. I was really craving breakfast type foods, but JR isn't a believer in breakfast for dinner. When I came across this Potato Crust Quiche, I was pretty sure we could have breakfast for dinner without complaints. I was right! He ate it for dinner, and lunch the next day!

While there is nothing like the buttery crust of a quiche, this was a nice alternative and definitely satisfied my breakfast cravings. I went ahead and subbed ham and spinach, where Nicole used bacon and broccoli. This is one of the reasons I love quiche so much, you can make so many variations.

I mentioned early in this post that it has been a while since I participated in the swaps and in that time a few improvements were made. At the bottom of this post you will find a linkup of the recipes made during this swap.

I hope you'll give this quiche a try. This would be perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner this upcoming weekend.

Here is what you'll need:

For the Crust:
  • 3 cups coarsely shredded uncooked potatoes (I used frozen ones, defrosted)
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
Preheat oven to 400F. Grease a 10-inch cheesecake pan or pie plate and set aside.

In a large bowl, combine crust ingredients. Press into prepared cheesecake pan or pie plate. Bake for 20 minutes.

Remove from oven. Reduce heat to 350F.

For the Filling:
  • 3 oz cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 4 oz. ham, diced (or other meat of your choice)
  • 1 box frozen spinach, defrosted and strained (or other vegetable or your choice)
  • 3 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 cup fat-free half-and-half
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • freshly ground black pepper
  • dash ground nutmeg
Layer cheese, onion, ham, and spinach onto crust. 

In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, half-and-half, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Pour egg mixture over ingredients and crust.

Bake for 35-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Serves 6 for a breakfast or with side (we had 4 dinner servings with no sides).

Source: Adapted from Prevention RD



Comments (7)

What a fun idea - I've never seen potato used as a crust for quiche.

Oooh a quiche wit potato crust? Sounds great!

This sounds great - I've never tried a crustless quiche but using potatoes sounds like a great idea.

I really love alternatives to regular crust.

I'm glad you enjoyed this! And I love the filling switch-ups. I was just thinking last night...I wonder if this would work with sweet potatoes as the crust. Hmmm. :)

I haven't heard of a quiche using a potato crust - this looks and sounds great!

Yum! That looks great!!