spoon

Swedish Meatballs over Egg Noodles

Category: ,

Swedish Meatballs is a meal I cannot recall ever eating. We may have had this meal growing up, but it's not one that I can remember. As an adult, this was never something that appealed to me. After all, meatballs are meant to be in a red sauce. Right?


Well, that's partially right. However, much to my surprise, meatballs are great in this sauce as well! I'm so glad that I talked to my friend The Home Cook and my sister, both of whose recommendation convinced me to give Swedish Meatballs a try. If you've never made them, I hope you will try them too!

Here is what you'll need:

For the Meatballs:
  • 1 lb ground sirloin
  • 1/2 cup bread crumbs
  • 1 egg
  • 1 small onion, finely grated
  • 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
  • Salt and pepper
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
For the Sauce:
  • 3 Tbsp unsalted butter 
  • 2 Tbsp all purpose flour 
  • 1/2 cup dry sherry
  • 1 1/2  cup beef broth
  • Salt and pepper 
  • 1 tsp Dijon mustard 
  • 1/2 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
  • 1/2 lb egg noodles, cooked
  • handful of chopped chives
Combine meatball ingredients, with the exception of the olive oil, in a bowl until just mixed. Roll into mini meatballs, a bit smaller than golf balls.

Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat, add olive oil. Fry meatballs until they are browned on each side, about 8-10 minutes. You may need to do this in batches in order to avoid overcrowding the pan. Once meatballs are browned on all sides, remove from pan and set aside.

In the same pan, add the butter and melt. Add flour to melted butter and whisk together into a paste. Add sherry and whisk until smooth. Add beef broth slowly while whisking to make a sauce that coats the back of a spoon. Add salt and pepper and mix well. Turn heat to low and add mustard and yogurt. Stir to combine.

Add meatballs back to the pan and stir so meatballs are coated with sauce and are warmed through. Serve over egg noodles and garnish with chives. Serves 4.

Source: Slightly adapted from Rachael Ray's 30-Minute Meals as seen on A Taste of Home Cooking

Comments (3)

I'd never had a Swedish meatball till I was older too.

I love Swedish meatballs! I think the sauce really makes them special and so different :)

I'm so glad you liked them. We LOVE them, as you know. :) Next time you have to try them with the brown gravy and some lingonberry jam.