spoon

What's Baking: Savory Cheesecake

Category:

This month's What's Baking is hosted by Jey of The Jey of Cooking.  The theme she chose was Savory Treats.  I loved this theme because it helped me fill a gap on my blog, appetizers.  I don't know about you, but appetizers are my favorite part of holiday gatherings.  So much so that I'm generally full before the meal itself.  So I wanted to be sure to get a few appetizers on here before the holidays.

I had a couple ideas for this theme, but ended up deciding on this Savory Cheesecake because it's a concept I've been wanting to experiment with for a while now.

As I began my search for a recipe, I came across 2 that interested me.  This one from Peggy Trowbridge Filippone and this one from Giada De Laurentiis.  I ended up using ingredients from both and created my own version.


I was barely able to get this photo snapped before JR dug in as it was still piping hot.  We both really liked the flavors here, but the texture out of the oven was a little weird.  Once it cooled the texture improved, so I suggest you let this set and cool to at least warm/room temperature before serving.

Be sure to check out The Jey of Cooking for the round-up which is sure to include Savory Treats you'll want to share with family and friends this holiday season.

Here is what you'll need:
  • 3/4 cup fresh bread crumbs
  • 1 Tbsp pistachios, shelled
  • 3/4 tsp Italian seasoning
  • 3 Tbsp olive oil
  • 16 oz cream cheese, softened at room temperature
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
  • 1/2 cup 2% cottage cheese
  • 1 1/2 cups fat free evaporated milk
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 tsp dried mustard
  • salt and pepper
  • 2 roasted red pepper halves, chopped
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Combine bread crumbs, pistachios and Italian seasoning in a food processor, pulsing until pistachios are chopped and well distributed.  Drizzle in olive oil and pulse a few more seconds to combine well.  Dump crumb mixture into bottom of pie plate, cake pan or cheesecake pan and press until evenly spread over bottom of pan.  Place in oven and bake 10-15 minutes just until golden.

Using a mixer, whip cream cheese on high until smooth.  Add cheeses, milk, egg, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, salt and pepper.  Mix on low combine, increase speed to medium and continue mixing until smooth.  Stir in red peppers.

Pour mixture into pan with crust.  Tap pan to release air bubbles.

Bake for 45 minutes until center barely jiggles.  Allow to cool to room temperature before serving.

Source: Inspired by Peggy Trowbridge Filippone and Giada De Laurentiis

Comments (4)

Looks delicious. I'm also hunting for good recipes for the holidays.

http://www.thegirlieblog.com

Thanks so much for participating in this month's What's Baking!

I LOVE the idea of a savory cheesecake! It sounds like the perfect holiday appetizer.

Interesting. I would have never thought to do a savory cheese cake, but your cheese cake does sound good an appetizer at a party.

Hello