spoon

Arroz con Camarones

Category: , , ,

Last year I was thrilled when Jessica helped me discover a good Arroz con Pollo. I've lost count of how many times I've made it as is, but I've only tried adapting it a few times to include other meats and additions.  Each time I've had pretty good success, but none was better than this Arroz con Camerones. 


One thing that I've learned in the past year, is that the wider the base of my pan the better my rice comes out. I now reach for my double fryer pan vs. a pot when I make this as I think I get a better final product.

This makes an easy weeknight meal, served with a simple salad and of course a side of avocado as well!

Here is what you'll need:
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 2/3 cup sofrito (I used Goya frozen sofrito)
  • 1/4 cup olives with pimentos (I prefer Goya Alcaparrado)
  • 1/2-3/4 cup frozen green peas
  • 1 chicken bouillon cube
  • 2 packages Sazon: Con Culantro Y Achiote 
  • 1 tsp Adobo
  • 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 2 cups hot water
  • 2 cups white medium grain rice (I prefer Goya)
In a large double fryer pan over medium high, heat olive oil.  Add sofrito, olives, peas, chicken bouillon, Sazon and Adobo. Mix well to combine and cook for 3-5 minutes. 

Add shrimp and stir to coat shrimp with seasonings.

Add hot water and rice, and bring to a boil. Stir, reduce heat to medium-low and cover.

Let cook over medium-low, covered, without opening or stirring (really, no peaking!), for 22-25 minutes.  Uncover, stir once and serve.  Serves 4.

Source: Originally seen on The Novice Chef

Comments (4)

I arroz con ”stuff”

My husband would LOVE these! Pork chops are his favorite, and I never know what to do with them.

I want to thank you for sharing this great recipe. I had just tried it and it was delicious!

I want to thank you for sharing this great recipe. I had just tried it and it was delicious!