spoon

What's Baking: Wheat English Muffins

Category: , ,

It's What's Baking time and this month the host is Lindsay of Peace, Love and French Fries. I'll be honest, when I first saw this month's theme I audibly declared "NO!" It was the feared ingredient of many, and if you haven't guessed yet, the theme was "Baking with Yeast."

"Baking with yeast" is not a response you'd hear from me if you were to ask me what I was doing in the kitchen on any given day. Nope. However, I have used it a few times in the past, notably for pizza dough (which reminds me that I need to get that recipe posted soon).

I suppose there was no better time to stretch myself past pizza dough than this month. Without further adieu, I bring you Wheat English Muffins which I can say I had fun making!

First Rise
Kneaded, Ready to Roll
Cut to Size
Second Rise
First Side on the Griddle
We have English Muffins!
I'm the English Muffin lover in this house, it's my bread of choice for breakfast sandwiches. JR will only eat them if there is no other bread to choose from, and if they say "wheat" he'll opt out of breakfast sandwiches all together. When I asked him if he was going to try these he said of course, and after finishing the first one asked for another with peanut butter and jelly. I guess it's safe to say these are good and there was no need for him to know they were of the wheat variety!

Be sure to check out Peace, Love and French Fries for the round-up, and be sure to check back here next month for another round of What's Baking hosted by ME!

Here is what you'll need:
  • 1 1/4 cups milk 
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 warm water
  • 1 package of dry yeast
  • 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 3 Tbsp shortening, melted
  • corn meal for dusting
Scald (click here to learn how) milk in a saucepan over medium heat. Add salt and stir to dissolve. Remove from heat and allow to cool to lukewarm.

In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add milk mixture to water mixture. Add 1/2 the flour, sifted, 1 cup at a time, mixing with a wooden spoon after each addition. Add melted shortening and mix well. Add remaining flour, sifted, 1 cup at at time, mixing well.

Lightly grease a second large mixing bowl. Place dough in greased mixing bowl. Lightly brush with water. Cover with plastic wrap. Allow to rise 2 hours in a warm place until doubled in size.

Remove dough from bowl and place on lightly floured surface. Knead a few times to form a dough ball. Roll dough to 1/2 inch thickness. Using a biscuit cutter or glass about 3-4 inches in diameter, cut out English muffin rounds.

Sprinkle corn meal on a baking sheet. Place English muffin rounds on baking sheet. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise 45 minutes.

Lightly grease and preheat griddle to 300F. Place English muffin rounds on griddle (corn meal side down) and cook for 10 minutes. Flip and cook second side 10 minutes. Move to wire rack to cool completely.

After they are completely cooled, they can be frozen in ziplock bags. Makes 15+ (depending on diameter).

Source: Adapted from Weekend Cook

Comments (3)

Making homemade English muffins is on my bucket list. I get a little nervous with yeast sometimes, but you make this seem very doable. I'll have to give these a try. My husband loves English muffins and these look delicious! :D -Kim

I love English Muffins!! I will definitely have to give this recipe a try!

I love baking with yeast - things always come out looking so storebought!