spoon

Creamy Tomato Basil Soup

Category: , , ,

It's been cold, and snowy. I spent all day Saturday in the kitchen. Come Sunday night, I wanted a quick, comforting, warm meal. I really wanted tomato soup and grilled cheese. JR doesn't like tomato soup, or so he thought until he tried this one. He's now edited his statement to "I don't like the tomato soup in the can." 

We both agreed this hit the spot for Sunday dinner and warmed us through. I used tomatoes I canned and basil I frozen, both from our garden, which quickly brought us both back to Summer and longing for Spring. I can't wait to have more for lunch today.

 

Here is what you'll need:
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 2 stalks of celery with leaves
  • 1 medium onion
  • seasoned salt
  • black pepper
  • 1 quart whole canned tomatoes
  • 2 beef bullion cubes
  • 1 cup water  
  • 1 Tbsp fresh or frozen basil
  • 3/4 to 1 cup heavy cream or half and half
In a medium pot, add olive oil and heat on medium-high. Add celery and onion and cook until soft, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper.

Add tomatoes, bullion and water, and simmer on medium for 10 minutes. Add basil and stir until combined.

Using an immersion blender, blend soup until smooth, or to your preferred consistency. Alternately, you could transfer the soup to a blender and blend in batches, making sure the blender is never more than 1/2 full of ingredients.

Add cream to soup and simmer over low heat 10 minutes. Do not allow to boil.

Makes 8 cups.

Source: Adventures in my Kitchen

Comments (0)