spoon

Canning: Cranberry Orange Sauce

Category: , ,


Fresh cranberry sauce is somthing I look forward to every year. I love it with our big holiday meals, as well as for breakfast in Greek yogurt and on a English muffin with cream cheese. I've experimented with several cranberry sauces over the years, but this has become my favorite and the one I turn to time and time again. So much so, I decided to make it twice this year in order to give as Christmas gifts and to enjoy throughout the year.


Here is what you'll need:
  • 12 oz. fresh cranberries
  • zest and juice of 1 orange
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 2 cinnamon sticks
Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and gently boil for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

To Can:

Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.

Ladle hot sauce into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles by running a sterile knife around the inside jar. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band and tighten until just tight (do not force).

Process jars in a boiling water for 15 minutes. Remove jars and cool. After 24 hours, remove bands and check lids for seal. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed and lids should stay intact when lifting jar by the lid.

Makes ~ 3 half-pints.

Source: Recipe adapted from Ocean Spray; Canning method from Ball's Complete Book of Home Preserving

Comment (1)

This sounds really good. I think I might have to give it a shot with the bag of cranberries hidden in my freezer!