spoon

Buttermilk Banana Bread

Category: , , , ,

I can't believe I'm posting a recipe that involves baking. It's been way too hot to bake in the last few weeks, but a few weeks ago I did heat up the house to make this banana bread again. I originally made it on Easter for both of our family gatherings, and at both it disappeared in a flash. JR was disappointed it went so quickly and has been requesting it ever since. He describes it as "the best banana bread ever" and "bangin' good".


Whenever I buy bananas we never eat them all so I always have some on hand in the freezer. I freeze them as is with the peels on. When I need them in a recipe, I take them out and place them in a bowl of cold water until they begin to soften (generally less than 10 minutes). Peel, mash, and now they are ready to use!

Enjoy!

Here is what you'll need:
  • 1 cup flour
  • 3⁄4 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1⁄2 cup oil
  • 1⁄3 cup buttermilk
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 2 eggs
  • 3 very ripe bananas, mashed
Preheat oven to 350F. Grease loaf pan and set aside.

Combine flour and baking soda in a small bowl.

In a large mixing bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Add dry mixture and mix until just combined, being careful not to overmix.

Pour batter into loaf pan. Bake for 60-65 minutes or until a knife or toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before cutting.

Source: Adapted from Saveur and What's Cooking Chicago via Carries Sweet Life

Comments (3)

This looks so yummy!! I usually have a few bananas left that I freeze too. They are the way overripe ones. I drop them in a gallon freezer bag, but skinned. Then squish em in the bag with hands before freezing. Baking at this hot, hot time of year, is done at night. Yes the house still gets heated, but everyone's in bed by then,,,,and quite happy in the morning, waking to the aromas! (and the goodies) Buttermilk is on my grocery list! Thanks!!

I wish it was too hot for baking. It's so cold here!

Sounds yummy. Buttermilk does make a difference.