spoon

What's Baking: Chocolate Cappuccino Chip Cookies

Category: , ,

When Melissa anounced this month's What's Baking theme, Snow Day Treat, I was hoping I'd have good snow pictures to include with my post. However, when you live in New England, you never know what the weather will bring. Since there is nothing remotely white in my backyard right now, I decided to share a photo from last January that never made it on the blog.  It was pretty ridiculous last year in terms of snow, but I'm starting to miss it.

I don't miss barely being able to open the door to let Lacey out, but I do miss the beauty that accompanies a snow fall, and the idea of being "snowed in". I also decided to take up snow shoeing this year, but it doesn't look like that will happen.

Anyhow, when I think of snow day treat my mind wanders to the pantry. Surely I'm not going out to drive in the snow, nor would I dare to fight the pre-snow grocery shopping crowds which usually result in bare shelves by the time I get to the store. Side note, what do these people do with all the milk, bread and eggs they stock up on before the big storm?

I decided to try and bake strictly from my pantry here, with the exception of eggs. Crisco is a very rarely used ingredient in my house, I'm not really sure why I even had it, but it did make this challenge fun for me.

The overall result isn't exactly my preferred type of cookie, nonetheless these were gobbled them up and I didn't hear any complaints. I however, missed the key ingredient - butter. However, I'd make these again if I were in a pinch and out of this key ingredient.

Here is what you'll need:

  • 3/4 cup shortening
  • 1 1/4 cups firmly packed brown sugar
  • 2 Tbsp evaporated milk
  • 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 3/4 tsp baking 
  • 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 3/4 cup cappuccino chips 
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.

Using a mixer at high speed, beat shortening and brown sugar until light and smooth. Add milk, vanilla and egg, and beat until well combined. Scrape down sides of the bowl.

Add flour, salt and baking soda, and stir until well combined. Scrape down sides of the bowl. Add chocolate and cappuccino chips and stir until combined.

Using a cookie scoop or tablespoon, drop even spoonfuls of cookies onto parchment paper allowing plenty of space for cookies to spread during baking.

Bake for 8-12 minutes, depending on if you like chewy or crispy cookies. Remove from oven and allow cookies to firm up for 1-2 minutes. Transfer parchment paper to cooling rack. Cool completely.

Makes 3-3 1/2 dozen.

Source: Crisco

Comment (1)

Thanks for this blog ppost