spoon

Warm Apple Buttermilk Custard Pie

Category: , , ,

I remember a few years back having extra buttermilk and looking for recipes to use it up.  I was tired of throwing away perfectly good buttermilk.  It took me a while to figure out there are a number of uses for it: pancakes, waffles, fried chicken, biscuits (which I don't particularly care for), and I've even used it in my macaroni and cheese.  Buttermilk pie was one thing that always seemed strange and unappealing to me.  Pie is my favorite dessert, so I finally decided to give it a try, and boy was I surprised.  It was good, really good!

Recently I had extra buttermilk and began my search for even more uses.  I thought back to that first buttermilk pie I made, and began searching for other pie variations.  When I came across this recipe I was intrigued; a cross between buttermilk, custard and crumb top apple pies.  I immediately set out to make it!


I did alter the recipe a bit, cooking the apples in brown sugar vs. regular sugar, and I used an additional apple based on the reviews I read.  I also didn't read through to the end of the recipe, so I added the crumb topping before it baked, instead of allowing to make some and then adding it.  I think the brown sugar was too much because this was VERY sweet, too sweet for me, however, adding the crumb topping early wasn't an issue!

JR loved it so much he ate two huge pieces before it even fully cooled.  I think this would be well received as a Thanksgiving pie, and may make an appearance on our Thanksgiving table this year.

The changes I made are included here:

For Apple Filling 
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 2 green and 1 red apple, peeled, cored and sliced
  • 1/2 cup sugar (I used brown sugar)
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
 For Custard:
  • 1/4 cup butter, softened
  • 1 1/3 cups sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk
For Crumb Topping:
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 3 Tbsp butter
  • 1 pie crust (I used a frozen one)
Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

To make Apple Filling: In a skillet over medium meeat, melt 1/4 cup butter.  Add apples, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon.  Cook 3 to 5 minutes, until tender.  Set aside.

To make Custard: In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine 1/4 cup softened butter and 1 1/3 cups sugar, and beat until creamy.  Add eggs one at a time, beating until they are no longer yellow.  Add vanilla and 2 Tbsp flour, and combine well.  Pour in buttermilk and beat until smooth.  Set aside.

To make Crumb Topping: Combine 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 brown sugar, 1/2 cup flour, and 1/4 tsp cinnamon in a small bowl.  Cut in 3 Tbsp butter or margarine until mixture is crumbly.

Spoon Apple Filling into pie crust.  Pour Custard over Apple Filling.  Top Custard with Crumb Topping.

Place in preheated oven and bake for 70 to 80 minutes, until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 1 hour before serving.  Serves 8.

Comments (2)

Just the name of the recipe sounds delicious! Looks yummy!

Thanks for this delicious recipe, Ammie! We loved it! I linked back to your blog here:

http://evabakes.blogspot.com/2012/03/warm-apple-buttermilk-custard-pie.html