spoon

Strawberry Summer Cake

Category: , ,

Cake or pie? Given the choice, I always choose pie and pie is what I was looking to make with our strawberries. That was until JR caught wind of my plans. Cake is his preference, and since I knew he'd more than likely be eating the majority of this treat, I went ahead and fulfilled his request.


I was pretty sold on this cake after reading the reviews. It was described as  having a "jammy" top and well, I do love anything strawberry jam! Plus, this was super simple to make which is a bonus in my book!

I'm rethinking my always choose pie decision. We gobbled this cake up at a very fast pace and I'm willing to bet you will too when you make it. It's already on my list of things to make when our short late strawberry season comes around in a few weeks.

Here is what you'll need:
  •  6 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 tsp almond extract
  • 1 1/2 cup flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 cup strawberries, stemmed and halved 
  • 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
Preheat oven to 350F. Grease 8x8 glass baking dish and set aside.

In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, cream butter and 1 cup sugar until fluffy, approx. 3 minutes. Add the egg, milk and almond extract and beat until well combined.

In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Slowly add dry mixture to wet mixture and beat until well incorporated.

Pour batter into greased baking dish. Place strawberries cut side down on top of batter. Sprinkle with remaining 2 Tbsp sugar.

Place in oven and bake for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temp to 325F and continue baking for 50-60 minutes, until a toothpick insert comes out clean (it may have some strawberry on it, but no wet batter should be visible). Cool on a wire rack before serving. Serves ~ 9.

Source: Slightly adapted from Martha Stewart as seen on Smitten Kitchen

Comments (0)