spoon

Fig and Arugula Salad

Category: , , , ,

This post jumped to the front of the line after our Sunday lunch.  When I can serve my husband a meal with very minimal meat, and he's satisfied, it's cause for celebration!  As we started lunch JR was making comments such as, "this is really good", "I'd eat this again", "these figs are the perfect ripeness".  He never asked, "where's the meat?"  I'm shocked, but I shouldn't be.  I did add just a few very slices of shaved prosciutto to the salads, and that was enough for him.  Lesson learned.


Since fig season is so short, when I came across this recipe on courant.com last week, it immediately went on our weekly menu plan.  I'm so grateful it did.  I found arugula and a perfect goat milk feta, not too salty, at Sunday's farmer's market.  I was unsure about arugula since I'd never had it before and I'm not generally fond of bitter flavors, however, it worked really well here.

I served this with a side of toasted baguette (also from the farmer's market), sliced and drizzled with olive oil and the remaining dressing.  This really was the perfect lunch for a blazing hot Sunday.

Here is what you'll need:
  • 1 bunch arugula
  • 2.5 oz. feta cheese, cubed
  • 4 figs, quartered
  • 4 slices shaved prosciutto 
  • 1/4 cup pecans
  • 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
  • 4 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1 Tbsp honey
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
In a small frying pan, toast the pecans over medium-high heat.  Be sure you watch them carefully and shake the pan a few times to move them around.  When you begin to smell the nuts, they're done.  Remove them from the heat and allow to cool.  Once cool, chop.

Arrange arugula, feta, figs, prosciutto and pecans on a plate.

In a small bowl, add vinegar, olive oil, honey and salt.  Whisk well.  Drizzle over salad.  Serves 2 as a main meal, serves 4 as a side.

Comments (4)

Very pretty picture!

Thank you, I appreciate the positive feedback! I'm trying to improve my photo skills.

This looks DELICIOUS! I'm going to try making it this weekend :)

Enjoy it, you will not be disappointed!